10/25/2011

MY JOURNEY TO THE HUMAN FIGURE (1)


The Sensuality of a Tree



I have always been fascinated with organic lines, shapes and forms.
The first few paintings I created featured trees - all sorts of trees as well as elements of trees like roots, leaves and branches. I was especially attracted to trees with lots of bent, crooked and gnarly branches.




The End of the Beginning                               The Beginning of the End
mixed media - 20x20                                        mixed media - 20x20
Therese Lydia Joesph                                      Therese Lydia Joseph








 As I explored the lines and curves of tree branches. The tree as an object became more and more irrelevant to me.
The organic shapes of branches took on a more sensual but unrealistic look.



 
The Gift of Life - triptych - 16x48 - Therese Lydia Joseph - sold


I focused on the movement and the feeling it provoked in me. It was apparent that sooner or later I would make the connection that tree branches and figures have a lot in common.

How so? 

 For me, branches and figures are pleasing to the senses. They evoke a sensual movement and rhythm revealing both feminine curves and masculine lines. It's like they speak the same language. That is when I began to incorporate my first figures into my work.
Some people might find this a far fetched idea. Holly Friesen created a beautiful blog post on the sensual language of trees. You can see it here.

Take a look at the triptych above and see how the shadow figures take on the shape of the branches and how the branches curve in harmony with the figures. In this painting both branches and figures are singing the same tune from sunrise to midday to sunset or one might say from birth to prime to retirement. 





 Where to go from here?
my next blog:
"From Sticks to Figures"



0 comments:

Post a Comment