11/08/2011

MY JOURNEY TO THE HUMAN FIGURE (3)

Previous posts in the series
Relating the organic shapes of tree branches to curves and lines of the human figure

Evolution from tree to human figure - Learning from the masters - A can of worms


Time to make up my Mind

I thought it would be easier for me to paint the figures in an abstract way using mixed media, the same fashion I do for my abstract artwork. So I bought myself some abstract figure drawing/painting books and looked at blogs. Here are some of the books and sites I found:

Expressive Figure Drawing and Drawing the Figure

Bill Buchman Blog and Nancy Standlee Art Blog

After reading books and posts about the figure I hummed and hawed whether I was able to do this or not. For some reason I felt this 'gut-wrenching boost' coming over me and I went for it. Out came the paints and a 24x48 stretched canvas. I thought bigger must be better. I kept the details to a minimum and concentrated more on texture and colour. I wanted the figure to portray sensuality in a semi abstract fashion.


Reverie - mixed media - 24x48 on canvas

Looking at the painting now (2 years later) I would change the left side of the painting. Well, I can always do that - never too late to change or improve a painting... why not. It was fun painting "Reverie" so I did another one - this time half the size.


Shangrila - 24x24 - mixed media on canvas - sold

Don't think for a minute that this came easy.
There are at least 2 other ladies hiding behind her. I felt quite pleased with this work and thought I was on a roll. Comfortable with the size of a 24x24 canvas I attempted to paint 2 figures for my next project... Sorry I cannot show a picture because I never liked it, never finished it and never will.
I was pretty humbled by the results. I came to the conclusion that I needed to figure out the "figure" before another figure flop occurred.


So I took a look at some of the Masters.
Matisse's work and The Women of Picasso came to mind.
I like Matisse's and Pcassos' work - however it is far removed from the route I wanted to take. The women I desired to create should to be sensual not sexual, curvy not boxy, gentle and soft not bitter and stern... I think you get the drift. Well where does that leave me know? 


Stay tuned - for next week's blog post:
"Don't touch that paint"




1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your kind comment. Stay tuned for the next post.

    ReplyDelete