2/21/2012

Bits and Pieces from my Father's Wallet



In memory of my father who passed away a few years ago...

As a little girl whenever I needed some spare change to buy candy, chocolate or ice cream I would go to my father and preform  my little song and dance. Jumping up and down, smiling and singing ... "Please, please can I have "as Fränkli" (one dollar)?"  I knew what was coming next. "Ehhh... mmm... well... hat fort?" "For the store! Please, please", while doing the pirouette...  My dad would dig his big hand deep down into his blue overall pocket... and with difficulties pull out his fat wallet. He then would place it into my hands but hold on to it until he got a kiss. Once I had delivered "as chlepfigs Müntschi" (loud sounding kiss) on his cheek he would let go of the wallet. I then had permission to open it to find a 1 Frank or 2 Frank coin... most of the time I was unsuccessful because his overstuffed wallet was filled with little screws, nuts and bolts - not coins. It was a wallet like no other. Even though I knew ahead of time that money was a rare item in my dad's wallet I came back time and time again to beg for coins for treats. May be because we had our little ritual down packed and I needed to practice my song and dance every so often. Or it could be because my dad would give me a 5 Frank coin if he did not have anything smaller. And that was a big deal for a little girl like me.

The mixed media paintings (8x5 in) let you take a peek into my dad's wallet and let me relive those precious moments.






8 comments:

  1. What a great story, thanks for sharing! You always see a painting differently once you know the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandrine,
      these little paintings along with a large one are now in the home I grew up in. My brother lives there now. So I think it is a good place for these sentimental little paintings.

      Delete
  2. Therese,
    LOVE LOVE LOVE the story and the paintings. I want to repost please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the "LOVE" sure go ahead and re-post it.
      Much appreciated.

      Delete
  3. What a wonderfully moving story to go with these delightful little paintings! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I can share a glimpse of my childhood with these little treasures.

      Delete
  4. Beautifully work, lovely story. Well done Therese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Edith, it is a little keep-sake about who my dad was for me. Glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete