12/26/2012

Paint the Walls...


Paint the Indian Guru’s wall
Dali lali la – da lali la
40 feet by 8 feet tall
Dali lali la – da lali la 


 The home of Dr. Themplangad George Joseph and his rooftop veranda

 The driveway  - view of the wall to be painted

During my trip to South India this summer I was given the task to transform a white wall into a piece of art. It came with a number of challenges:

1 - THE THEME
Dr. Themplangad (my Guru) is an activist for Sanitation Improvement of the Indian Railway. He says: "The Indian Railway needs diapers". Human waste has been draining out onto the tracks since the invention of the railway. Dr. Themplangad wants to change that, take it a step further and transform human waste into energy that can be used as fuel... read all about it on his 

2 - MATERIALS
I was given watery house paint in three colors - green, blue, orange and white.
The brushes were thin and floppy

3 - THE TIME-FRAME VS PROJECT-SIZE 
I had 50 minutes to finish a 38ft long by 8ft tall wall

4 - THE ENVIRONMENT
The temperature was 28° C - humid and sunny



 Nice servant man providing some shade for the hardworking artist

 Part 1 - The Genuine Article (Human waste)



 Part 2 - Transition 



Part 3 - Transformation



Part 4 - Conversion



I finished the wall in 45 min.


All of the green and blue paint got used up.
The nice servant man washed all the bushes and put way all the supplies.

My personal "Guru" is pleased with the result.


Dr. Themplangad showed me his 'art' he created while in the US many years ago.






0 comments:

Post a Comment