11/11/2014

Should Artists have artistic signatures?

Signing a work is frequently the gesture marking a work's completion — the moment, as Picasso put it, that it is ready to be "abandoned."

THINGS TO THINK ABOUT:
- Should you sign your art so people can actually read it?
- Does your signature look artistic enough? 
- Is your signature as unique as you are?
- Do you treat your signature as an integral part of the creative process?
- Should you always sign on the front or can you sign on the side or the back of your painting?
- Do you give your signature the credit it deserves?
- Should you sign a painting that have not reached the standard of your best work?

This 50 second video shows how my unique artist signature was born.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW:
- Your signature on your art declares that officially the work is completed.
- Your signature declares and identifies that the artwork is unmistakable your creation - for the rest of it's existence.
- Your signature is your personal seal of approval.
- The presence of a signature tend to support the market value of a work.
- A signature establishes the artist's participation in its making. 
- Generally a signature is added for the need to keep possessions secure.

Quote from ArtLex:
"Just as the names of people take various formal and informal styles, artists have been known to sign their works in a great variety of ways. Signing marks have sometimes been the initials of an artist's name (a monogram perhaps), or an impression from a stamp, or a symbol"

SO - SHOULD YOU SIGN YOUR PAINTINGS?  
- How big or long - Front or back - What colour or style - ARE NOT THE PROBLEM 
- The most serious signature problem is - HAVING NO SIGNATURE

4 comments:

  1. Interesting, thought provoking questions - I've never signed anything because I don't sell or give my creations away - it's always just been "for me". However, signing to make it "complete"/finished and even to acknowledge my own creativity is an important step in the creative process that I've never considered.
    Thank you!
    (enjoyed your video)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your thoughts on this post. At first I was shy to sign my work, unsure if it was good enough or if it was finished. Now I sign as soon as I am sure the painting is done and I am pleased with the results. Once a painting is signed I don't touch it again. I made that promise to myself. So far so good. Have a wonderful week.

      Delete
  2. I work in ceramics mostly and otherwise in textiles so it's a bit different . I do sign claywork - usually on the base where it won't show - a habit from so often needing to identify my work in someone else's kiln ! Many potters use a stamp they have made themselves - maybe I'll get round to it one day . Textiles I embroider on the back as clearly as possible because I am aware that anonymous 'women's' work has so often been treated as if it spontaneously generated !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment rukshanaafia - even if you sign and make your mark where it is not easily seen, at least it is there. I think if gives the artwork the seal of approval, authentication and certification, much like a birth certificate... :)

      Delete